Saturday, July 01, 2006

Networking Troubles

A few days ago, I finally decided to buckle down and install Linux. I grabbed Xubuntu (because my computer is old, and slow) and installed it. And here's where the fun part begins, my wireless card doesn't like linux. It would show up on the lists of PCI and Networking devices, but, I couldn't do anything with it. It wouldn't even light up. I strugled trying to get it to do anything for hours, nothing. Then I installed Ndiswrapper, to try and get it to do something. I got what I believe are the right drivers, and installed them. It found the hardware, didn't produce any errors, went off without a hitch. But, still I couldn't do anything with the card. I messed with more settings for a while, trying to get it to load on startup and such, but still, nothing. I finally gave up, at least for then. I'm not sure what to do next, but for now, I have 7 gigs of dead space sitting on my computer, and and annoying peice of hardware hanging out the back.
(If anyone wants to help, I have a Broadcom BCM94306 802.11g Card, Broadcom 94306 chipset, and a pciid of 14e4:4320 (rev 02))

No comments: